You might see the following staging effects, among others. All strive to present the "after" model who's wearing a color from the "correct" palette in a favorable light.
In "before" photos
- Hard, bright lighting that leaves the subject looking "washed out."
- An unflattering facial expression, such as an unnecessarily wrinkled forehead.
- An unflattering pose.
- Unflattering clothing, accessory, and/or hair style.
- Soft lighting with proper exposure.
- A relaxed, pleasant facial expression.
- Small, but significant, improvement in pose.
- More becoming clothing, accessories, and/or hair style.